Thursday, July 19, 2007

Explaining addiction in layman's terms

The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) has released a helpful new booklet titled "Drugs, Brains and Behavior: The Science of Addiction."

In its 30 pages, it describes how science has revolutionized what we now know about drug addiction "as a brain disease that affects behavior."

Somehow I find hope when I see addiction explained, rationally, and see references to prevention and treatment. After all, until the addict is in the grave, there IS hope, isn't there?

Check out the PDF of the booklet or order one here.

I'm going to get a copy for my 84-year-old mother, who doesn't understand why it isn't just a matter of will power. Gotta admit, some days I wonder that myself.

http://www.drugabuse.gov/scienceofaddiction/

Technorati Profile

No comments: